Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Book Review: How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced, Book #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks

How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced, #1)How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days by Kerrelyn Sparks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Grab Your Copy: Amazon

Luciana has magical powers that put her life in danger the second she was born. In an effort to keep her safe, she was taken to a safe island and raised under secure protection. She grew up believing her family gone or not wanting her until her father comes calling. He needs her help and she is only one that can protect their heritage and save her father’s life. Luciana will have to marry the dreaded Beast of Benwick and hope he doesn’t discover secrets she doesn’t wish to make known.

Lord Leofric (Leo) has a magical affliction that leaves him unable to touch other humans without killing them. His ability to harness lightning makes him a formidable foe but also renders Leo quite lonely. He must marry but is resigned to the fact that he will never be able to touch his wife. Or can he? It appears she may be magical and stronger than she appears.

How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days turned out to be a fantastic novel that I devoured – after I got through the first couple of chapters. I started the book three different times before I was finally able to get past the slow beginning and move forward with the rest of the book. When you have as many books to read/review as I do, giving any book more than one chance takes away time from another book. I’m really glad I didn’t give up and give the book a DNF.

I ended up loving Luciana and Leo. Both of their characters are strong but flawed. Both with vastly different childhoods, they both bear scars of loss. Yet, they both find kindred spirits in one another. Luciana and Leo are drawn to each other in a way neither understands and the author created them and developed them so realistically.

Once I got into the groove of the book, the intricate plot that the author created kept me engaged. The world building brought forth a historical setting with fantasy and paranormal elements. The descriptions were so vivid that I had no problem envisioning the story and feeling like I was there on sidelines. I look forward to the next book.

I was provided a paperback copy of this book to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment